Amboseli Nationwide Park is superbly filled with superb sightings. Dubbed the “Residence of the African Elephant”, it’s one of many safari locations in Kenya to expertise the unbeatable touristic actions.
It’s additionally one of many two premium nationwide parks in Kenya and is positioned within the south-eastern area of Kenya close to Tanzania. Its magnificence is unknown to many and valued by few, however when you go to you’ll ceaselessly be in love with this vacation spot.
Famed for its excellent elephant herds—the park’s elephant inhabitants estimated at 1600. The majestic creatures are set with a backdrop of the snow-capped Mount Kilimanjaro in neighboring Tanzania. Vegetation within the park is dominated by acacia woodland, rocky thorn bushes, marshland and a Pleistocene Lake Amboseli.
Other than the assured wildlife sightings within the park, one can delve deeper into the sphere of wildlife conservation that provides as much as Kenya’s elite wildlife experiences. Nationwide Parks in Kenya are an important promoting level for Kenya’s tourism business and many individuals take pleasure in safari expertise with a steely dedication to marvel on the Massive 5. Nonetheless, the Amboseli Nationwide Park affords greater than wildlife and you might be assured an important expertise.
On this article are a few of the finest actions to do in Amboseli Nationwide Park. We additionally share data on the best way to get to Amboseli Nationwide Park, working hours and entrance charges, and a few of the high lodging choices for you.
Additionally take a look at: Nairobi Nationwide Park: The Solely Nationwide Park in a City
Right here’s what to sit up for:
Easy methods to get to Amboseli Nationwide Park
Amboseli Nationwide Park has 4 gates: Iremito, Meshanani, Kimana, and Kitirua.
The park is well accessible by highway from Nairobi, Kenya’s capital. The park is roughly 240km from Nairobi, which interprets to a 4-hour drive by way of the Nairobi-Namanga route by way of its Meshanani gate. This route is faster because it has minimal visitors and is much more scenic.
Alternatively, one can take the Nairobi-Emali route by way of Mombasa highway, which will likely be a 3-hour drive with out visitors. Nevertheless, this route may be slower as Mombasa highway is among the many busiest roads; thus, certain to expertise heavy visitors particularly throughout peak hours. Accessing the park from Mombasa is especially by means of Tsavo Nationwide Park, roughly, 7 hours drive.
The park’s proximity to Nairobi makes it accessible for guests who need to take pleasure in a drive alongside Kenyan roads. It’s also nice for day journeys; nonetheless, to get the most effective out of the vacation spot, I’d suggest a two-day keep to exhaust all its merchandise.
By practice you possibly can board the SGR at Nairobi or Mombasa and alight at Emali terminus. From Nairobi, the practice takes 1 hour half-hour to get to Emali whereas from Mombasa, the practice takes slightly below 5 hours. From right here, Amboseli is 91km away and you have to to rearrange for pick-up by means of Amboseli camp or automobile rent providers.
Notably, for a luxurious expertise, guests can get to Amboseli by way of home chartered flights from Nairobi’s Wilson Airport that land within the park’s airstrip or Namanga Airstrip, within the close by Namanga city. The flight is roughly 90 minutes.
Amboseli Nationwide Park working hours and entrance charges
The park operates between 6 am – 7 pm all yr spherical inclusive of public holidays. No entry is allowed previous 6:15 pm.
As of 2023, Kenyan residents and residents visiting the park, pay an entrance payment of ksh 860 for adults and ksh 215 for kids, whereas non-residents are charged ksh 8,469 ($60) for adults and ksh 4,940 ($35) for kids. All charges are legitimate for twenty-four hours.
Extra detailed data on the associated fee overview and different expenses may be accessed by means of the parks administration web site, the Kenya Wildlife Service. When visiting the park understand that all funds are cashless they usually settle for Mpesa, Visa, and direct financial institution deposits.
Insider Tip: Whereas the park may be visited all yr spherical, the most effective time to go to Amboseli Nationwide Park is throughout the dry season starting June to October and December to February. At the moment, the park roads are simply accessible and in good situation for recreation drives.
What to do in Amboseli Nationwide Park
1. Recreation drive
Amboseli Nationwide Park has various species of untamed animals that inhabit the park’s open plains, rocky thorn bushes, and marsh land. It’s a safari wonderland characterised by the solemnly matching matriarchs and hippos. Whereas recreation drives may be performed all day lengthy, the most effective time to identify a lot of the wildlife is early morning and late night. It is because throughout the day, when the solar is sizzling, the animals keep within the hideouts and solely come out to drink water within the watering holes.
A few of the different animals to see on the park embody; hyenas, giraffes, lions, waterbucks, buffalos, leopards, grant’s gazelles, and zebras amongst different animals.
Insider Tip: Whereas exploring the Amboseli Nationwide Park, it’s critical to be a accountable vacationer and prioritize the preservation of wildlife and their habitats. Respect the animals by sustaining a secure distance, chorus from feeding them, and obey the park guidelines.
2. Cultural excursions
A go to to Amboseli Nationwide Park is incomplete with out partaking in a cultural tour. Surrounding the park is the Maasai group, one in all Kenya’s reigning indigenous group. The Maasai are well-known for his or her tradition and cultural components like dance, souvenirs like beaded jewellery, woven baskets, clothes popularly generally known as the Maasai shuka and crafts.
Whereas having fun with the Maasai tradition and heritage, guests can have interaction and take part in the neighborhood’s sustainable improvement initiatives like afforestation and different voluntourism actions in the neighborhood.
Insider Tip: Be a accountable vacationer and help the area people by shopping for their items and providers and respecting their tradition and heritage.
Tenting may be frolic and enjoyable and I can’t think about a greater approach to take pleasure in it by tenting outdoors a lodge overlooking the majestic African giants and the attractive view of Mount Kilimanjaro. Tenting on the Amboseli Nationwide Park prices roughly $50 for adults and $25 for kids at particular campsites; $30 for adults and $25 for kids at public campsites. I’d recommend making prior enquiries in regards to the availability and state of the campsites as a result of they’re hardly maintained.
The park has three frequent campsites, all of that are positioned outdoors the park. These embody:
- Kimana Camp Amboseli: the most typical in Amboseli run by the Kenya Wildlife Service. It’s positioned simply outdoors the park’s Kimana gate. Set below large acacia bushes that present shade from the scorching solar. The camp is a tented camp in addition to a campsite.
- Olgulului Camp Amboseli: this campsite supplies a fabulous view of Mount Kilimanjaro. It about 5 minutes away from the park’s Meshanani gate. The camp supplies all the fundamental facilities; although, chances are you’ll be required to look somewhat more durable for firewood.
- Kimana Sanctuary: this campsite is privately owned as it’s positioned within the close by conservancy. It’s half an hour away from the park gate and has barely completely different prices which are inclusive of conservancy entrance charges.
4. Guided nature stroll on the Remark Hill
Amboseli Nationwide Park is of course endowed with scenic vegetation, swamps, and elevated view of the park’s plains and animal species on the pyramid-shaped remark hill. The remark hill is without doubt one of the locations inside the park, the place guests are allowed to disembark from their autos and proceed on foot.
Atop the hill, you will get a panoramic view of the park’s plains and various animal species. On the remark hill, you’ve entry to the knowledge centre, the place there are pasted boards with info about wildlife like baboons, lions, and birds on the park. Equally, you possibly can view the scenic Lake Amboseli with its stunning flamingoes on one facet and the height of Mount Kilimanjaro on the opposite.
5. Hen watching
The park supplies a house to over 400 species of birds that may be noticed within the marsh space, grasslands, and woodlands. A few of the unmissable birds right here embody the higher flamingo, lesser flamingo, lengthy toed lap claw, Rufous chatter, Spike-heeled heron, Tavete golden weaver, frequent redshank, and Dickinson’s kestrel. Birds may be tough to sight when at a distance, due to this fact, having your binoculars is important.
Insider Tip: To get probably the most out of this exercise, fowl watching is finest performed throughout the moist season (April to June and November to December) when migratory birds are within the Amboseli area.
6. Scorching Air Balloon Safari
A sizzling air balloon journey is without doubt one of the most fulfilling actions. Taking a sizzling air balloon journey lets you fly the Amboseli skies whereas having fun with an aerial view of the park. You’ll be able to see elephant herds and buffalos throughout the plains whereas mingling with birds of the air.
With a scenic backdrop of the snowcapped Mount Kilimanjaro, Amboseli Nationwide Park is a delight for nature lovers. It supplies the most effective contrasts, terrain, and landscapes to seize the most effective of natural world. The nice experiences are price capturing in your lenses for good recollections and nostalgia. Amboseli is also referred to as a spectacular spot for wildlife images and film-making.
8. Wildlife Conservation and Analysis on the Elephant Analysis Camp
The African elephants on the Amboseli are among the many most studied elephants in Kenya and globally. The analysis camp is positioned inside the park below the steerage and management of the Amboseli Belief for Elephants.
Whereas the analysis camp will not be open to informal visits, guests could make prior preparations for interactive periods with the researchers to study their analysis work and the problems related to elephant conservation. It’s additionally an important alternative so that you can be concerned in conservation tourism by making donations to help elephant conservation efforts, taking part within the elephant naming ceremony, and turning into a member of the Elatia household.
The place to remain and eat at Amboseli Nationwide Park
Amboseli Nationwide Park affords various lodging choices starting from mid-range to luxurious lodging. These can be found each inside and outdoors the park. Whereas staying contained in the park you pay extra, you get the good thing about experiencing stunning dawn and sundown and never having to hurry to get out of the park earlier than closing time.
A few of these choices embody:
- Kibo Safari Camp: It’s the most advisable lodging facility in Amboseli and rating in first place on Journey Advisor. The camp has a safe fence to maintain off wildlife. It has 73 self-contained tents for single, double, triple and household lodging. Every tent is supplied with flush bogs, showers and washbasins. Amongst different facilities is a lounge and bar, eating space, swimming pool, artwork gallery, spa, convention services, open terraced restaurant and a memento store. Costs per evening are upwards of $250.
- Kilima Safari Camp: Positioned adjoining to the park, the camp affords spacious lodging in a 4-poster mattress fitted with mosquito internet and different facilities. All rooms within the camp have a seating space and personal toilet. An evening’s keep right here will price you $400.
- Amboseli Serena Lodge: This can be a non-public massive group resort and its brick and mortar mannequin supplies the standard lodging expertise for guests who usually are not used to the nighttime roar of the searching lioness. Its hunkered down prime place within the park permits it to boast of the spectacular views of the Kilimanjaro. The usual price for an evening keep is roughly $290. The power additionally supplies particular supply packages for vacationers all yr spherical and through particular seasons.
- Porini Amboseli Camp: This camp is owned by the well-known Porini Safari Firm and it’s positioned outdoors the park within the Selenkay conservancy. It has a complete of 9 en-suite tents with conventional safari design, easy furnishing, spacious rooms and cozy thick rugs. Lodging per evening is $640 and that is inclusive of guided recreation drives, bush walks, sundowner, and entry to the viewing platforms over watering holes.
- Elewana Tortilis Camp: This 5-star non-public tented camp is to the south-west of the park adjoining to a personal conservancy—Kitirua Wildlife Conservancy. Lodging right here entails 16 luxurious makuti- thatched (sundried leaves of the coconut palms) tents, every with twin or double beds, en-suite baths, and verandah. It’s barely above up-market costs for the luxurious expertise. Amenities right here embody lounge and bar, swimming pool, spa, free Wi-Fi, reward store, guided bushwalks, birding, youngsters actions, sundowners, and cultural group visits.
- Ol tukai Lodge: This eco-rated lodge is on the coronary heart of the park presenting distinctive out of doors and indoor services. It’s a getaway for a captivating modern retreat. It’s the prime spot for watching the elephant herds with the backdrop of the Kilimanjaro. Thus, probably the most most well-liked by guests visiting the park. This facility is designed to create consolation for its guests by prioritizing their security and comfort whereas transferring across the park.
- Kilimanjaro Visitor Home: That is one other lodging facility within the park at Iremito gate managed by the KWS. This facility hosts as much as 7pax and that is splendid for a household set-up. You’ll be able to take pleasure in actions like tenting, recreation viewing and picnicking on the banda. Notably, the banda is on self-catering foundation. What higher approach to take pleasure in household time than cooking collectively whereas having fun with the panoramic views of the wild!
- Simba Cottages: This banda can be managed by the KWS and hosts two folks. Much like the Kilimanjaro visitor home, you possibly can take pleasure in a picnic setting, recreation viewing, and tenting right here. It’s also on self-catering foundation.
- Get a neighborhood Safaricom Sim with activated Mpesa (cell cash service), as this may allow you to in conducting money transactions as having access to some banks outdoors Nairobi may be difficult. Moreover, Safaricom has nice community protection throughout the nation.
- Be taught a couple of Swahili phrases like greetings makes nice dialog starters particularly when interacting with the area people (additionally take a look at these cultural greetings in Africa). For instance:
Sasa – Hello/ Good morning
Asante/ nashukuru – thanks
Karibu – Welcome
Final however not least, bear in mind to hold a re-usable water bottle for rehydration. Our parks don’t enable single use plastics. Let’s develop the #BringYourOwnBottle problem and cease plastic air pollution.
See additionally: Kenya eVisa: The whole lot you could know