By Dr Renita D’Souza
Potato (Solanum tuberosum) is a widely known meals crop cultivated worldwide. Generally referred to as White potato or Irish potato. Potato being secure meals, it additionally possesses medicinal values. Fruits will not be appropriate for consumption because it accommodates the poisonous alkaloid solanine. Potatoes are wealthy supply of starch and this potato starch varieties an adulterant of fantastic flours and starches. Potatoes additionally type an vital supply of alcohol.
Botanical Title – Solanum tuberosum
Household – Solanaceae
Synonyms – Solanum andigenum, Battata tuberosa, Lycopersicon tuberosum (L. Mill.), Parmentiera edulis
Style (Rasa) – Madhura (Candy)
High quality (Guna) – Guru (heavy to digest), Ruksha (dry)
Efficiency (Virya) – Shitha (chilly)
Motion (Karma) –
Vishtambhi – causes bloating
Srishta Mutra Mala – helps in formation and expulsion of urine and stools.
Durjara – Tough to digest
Raktapittanut – helpful in rakthapitta (bleeding problems)
Balya – promotes power
Vrishya – Aphrodisiac
Impact on Tridoshas
Kaph-anila kara – Will increase kapha and vata dosha
Solanum tuberosum is a perennial bushy herb that grows as much as 60 cm in peak. Leaves are pinnate with a single terminal leaflet, leaflets often 5-9, massive, ovate with smaller leaflets in between. Flowers white, pink, purple, blue or purple with yellow stamens. Fruits are spherical to ovoid berry, 2-4 cm in diameter, inexperienced color, every containing 300 seeds. Rhizomes originate from basal stem nodes under the bottom with as much as 3 rhizome per node.
Solanum tuberosum is a local of America and was introduced into India by the Portuguese. It’s cultivated around the globe. It’s best grown in cool climates.
Mueller (L. Klin. Woch) recommends potato meal to infants.
Potatoes are nicely washed, cleaned and sliced.
These slices are then dries at a low temperature not exceeding 400C.
Slices which include hulls are powdered, roasted barely at 500 to 550C temperature.
At this temperature conversion of starch into dextrin takes place.
This powder accommodates pure constituents akin to minerals, albuminoids and nutritional vitamins.
Reference – Indian Materia Medica, Vol 1 By A.Okay Nadkarni
Solanum tuberosum consists of starch and wealthy in mineral akin to potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, sulphur and copper. Nutritional vitamins current in potato are beta-carotene, vitamin A, C, B1, B2, B6, and folic acid.
- Poultice ready from potatoes boiled in water is used to boiling potatoes in water is utilized in rheumatic joints, swellings, pores and skin rashes and haemorrhoids.
- Paste of raw potatoe is utilized in burns and scalds as a soothing plaster.
- Potato pores and skin is utilized in burns and swollen gums.
- In Constipation, boiled / steamed potato consumption will assist in formation of soppy stools and its simple expulsion. If consumed in extra it might trigger flatulence.
- Uncooked potato juice is used to deal with gastric and intestinal ulcers.
- Potato slices are saved over eyes to deal with darkish circles.
- In continual cough, leaf extract is used. It acts as antispasmodic.
Solanum tuberosum possess Antioxidant, Anticancer, Antiallergy, Antibacterial, Anti-Inﬂammatory, Anti-Weight problems and Anti-Ulcer Exercise
Medicinal makes use of
Anaemia – Potatoes are wealthy iron and folic acid; therefore it may be helpful in Anaemia.
Burns, Rashes – Because of its soothing property, potatoes utilized externally could be helpful in pores and skin irritations.
Gastritis, Colitis, Intestinal ulcers – It possess anti-ulcer and therapeutic properties.
Solanum tuberosum possess phytochemicals akin to phenolic acids, ﬂavonoids, phytates, folates, anthocyanins and carotenoids.
Aaluka and its varieties talked about in Bhavaprakasha Nighantu, is taken into account to be that of Dioscorea species.
In line with Bhavamishra, there are 6 sorts of Aaluka
1. Kaashtaaluka – Tubers are exhausting. In Hindi it is called Kataalu
2. Shankhaaluka – white in colour. Referred to as Shankaalu in Hindi
3. Hasthyaaluka – Massive in measurement
4. Pindaaluka – Globular in form. Generally referred to as Suthani or Pindaalu.
5. Madvaaluka – It’s candy in style and outter floor is bushy. It is called Deerg suthani in Hindi
6. Raktaaluka – It’s purple in colour. Generally it is called rakthaalu, rathaalu / rathanda.
References for Aluka in Ayurveda Briyattrayis
Acharya Charaka talked about potato as most unwholesome among the many tubers. (C.S Su 25/39).
Aaluka (Potato) is talked about one among the many shaaka varga (Vegetable) – (C.S. Su 27/98)
Acharya Sushrutha and Vagbhata have additionally talked about this plant in S.S Su 46/298 and A .H Su 6/93 respectively.
Bhavaprakasha Nighantu – Shaaka varga
Kingdom – Plantae
Subkingdom – Viridaeplantae
Division – Tracheophyta
Subdivision – Spermatophytina
Class – Magnoliopsida
Order – Solanales
Household – Solanaceae
Genus – Solanum
Species – S. tuberosum
English Title – Potato
Sanskrit Title – Golakandah
Hindi Title – Alu
Gujrati Title – Papeta
Bengali Title – Golalu
Marathi Title – Batata
Malayalam Title – Urulakkilan
Kannada Title – Batate, Alugadde
Konkani Title – Botate
Tamil Title – Urulaikkizhangu, Urala-kalangu
Telugu Title – Bangaaladumpa, Urlagadda
French Title – pomme de terre
Portuguese Title – Batata
Spanish Title – Papa
Germany Title – Kartappe
Aaruka, Aarooka, Veerasena, Veera, Veeraaruka, Aaluka
Click on to Seek the advice of Dr Renita D’Souza