These are the principle developments because the Russian invasion of Ukraine enters its 522nd day.
Right here is the scenario on Sunday, July 30, 2023.
- The Russian defence ministry stated it intercepted three Ukrainian drones over Moscow early on Sunday. The “tried terrorist assault” broken the facades of two buildings however prompted no casualties, officers stated.
- On the opposite aspect of the border, a minimum of one civilian was killed in a Russian missile assault on the Ukrainian metropolis of Sumy, in line with the nationwide police drive. The assault on Saturday night time additionally wounded 5 folks, it stated.
- The UK defence ministry reported an “uptick of combating” in southern Ukraine and stated Kyiv’s forces had defeated components of Russian airborne forces to seize the village of Staromaiorske.
- Polish Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki stated a bunch of troopers from Russia’s mercenary Wagner Group have moved near a Belarusian metropolis close to the border with Poland.
- “The scenario is getting more and more harmful … Almost definitely they [the Wagner personnel] might be disguised because the Belarusian border guard and assist unlawful migrants get to the Polish territory [and] destabilise Poland,” Morawiecki stated at a press convention in Gliwice, western Poland. “They are going to almost certainly attempt to enter Poland pretending to be unlawful migrants and this poses extra threats,” he added.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin stated an African initiative might be the idea for peace in Ukraine however that the continuing Ukrainian counteroffensive made provisions of the proposal – resembling a name for a ceasefire – “just about not possible to implement”.
- The Russian chief, who was talking to reporters after assembly with African leaders in Saint Petersburg, additionally appeared to downplay not attending the BRICS summit in South Africa subsequent month, saying he didn’t assume his presence there “is extra essential than my presence right here”. South African authorities had stated Putin wouldn’t attend the August 22-24 gathering due to an argument over an arrest warrant issued towards the Russian president by the Worldwide Prison Court docket.
- The Wall Avenue Journal reported that Saudi Arabia is about to host talks in August about Ukraine and has invited Western states, Ukraine and main growing international locations together with India and Brazil. The assembly will convey officers from as much as 30 international locations to Jeddah on August 5 and 6, it added.
- Within the northern Russian area of Arkhangelsk, prosecutors summoned a nine-year-old woman and her 10-year-old brother as witnesses in a felony case towards their mom after she was accused of repeatedly “discrediting” the nation’s military.