Right here is the scenario on Tuesday, August 22, 2023.
- Ukraine’s Deputy Defence Minister Hanna Maliar mentioned combating within the northeastern Kharkiv area was “troublesome” however that the nation’s armed forces have been repelling Russian assaults and had retaken a number of sq. kilometres on the japanese entrance over the previous week. The scenario was significantly difficult round Kupiansk, she mentioned.
- Maliar mentioned Ukrainian forces had additionally recaptured about 3sq km (1.2sq miles) of territory across the japanese war-battered city of Bakhmut however had made no notable advances on the southern entrance. “Within the south, the scenario has not undergone vital modifications. Our defenders proceed to advance within the Berdyansk and Melitopol sectors,” she informed state tv.
- Russia mentioned it foiled a number of drone assaults, considered one of which led to the suspension of about 50 flights at Moscow’s Vnukovo airport. Two folks have been additionally injured when particles from a drone fell on a home close to Moscow, in accordance with officers.
- Ukraine lined up the burned-out stays of dozens of Russian tanks and different combating automobiles alongside Kyiv’s primary avenue as Ukrainians put together to mark their second wartime Independence Day on Thursday.
- Russian mercenary chief Yevgeny Prigozhin shared his first video tackle since main a quick mutiny in late June, showing in a clip probably shot in Africa that was launched on Telegram channels affiliated with the Wagner Group. The video confirmed Prigozhin standing in a desert sporting camouflage and holding a rifle in his arms.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned in a speech exterior the Danish parliament that he was “assured” Russia would lose the conflict in Ukraine, following Denmark and the Netherlands’s choice to donate F-16 fighters to the nation. “I’m certain that we are going to win as a result of the reality is on our facet,” Zelenskyy mentioned. “The primary factor is what we show with our victory, with our cooperation, … collectively we show that life is a worth, that individuals matter. Freedom issues. Europe issues.”
- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) mentioned it was cautious to not violate sanctions imposed by its Western allies on Russia over the conflict in Ukraine after the Wall Road Journal reported the nation was aiding Moscow by offering an outlet for Russian cash. A UAE official mentioned the nation was not flouting sanctions and had a sturdy course of to take care of blacklisted folks and firms.
- Denys Marchuk, the deputy head of the Agrarian Council, Ukraine’s largest agribusiness group, mentioned Ukraine was contemplating utilizing its newly-tested Black Sea export hall for grain shipments after final week’s profitable supply. Ukraine introduced a “humanitarian hall” close to the western Black Beach close to Romania and Bulgaria after Russia stop the Black Sea grain export deal in July.
- Russia expanded its blacklist of individuals working in the UK’s media, together with journalists and executives on the BBC, the Guardian and The Telegraph.
- Danish Defence Minister Jakob Ellemann-Jensen mentioned Ukraine can use the F-16 fighter jets being donated by Denmark and the Netherlands solely inside its personal territory.
- Zelenskyy mentioned Greece will participate in coaching Ukrainian air pressure pilots on F-16 jets. He didn’t present particulars of the coaching programme. Officers from a coalition of 11 nations have mentioned F-16 coaching will happen in Denmark and Romania.
- Russia’s ambassador to Denmark, Vladimir Barbin, condemned Denmark and the Netherlands’s choice to donate F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine, saying it could escalate the battle