This text explains Sushruta Samhita Sutrasthana Chapter 43 “Vamanadravya Vikalpa Vijnaniya” – Information of getting ready emetic recipes.
Vamanadravya Vikalpa Vijnaniya – Information of getting ready emetic recipes
अथातो वमनद्रव्यविकल्पविज्ञानीयमध्यायं व्याख्यास्यामः ||१||
यथोवाच भगवान् धन्वन्तरिः ||२||
We’ll now expound the chapter by title Vamanadravya vikalpa vijnaniya – information of getting ready recipes from emetic medicine; as revealed by the venerable Dhanvantari.
Learn – Lord Dhanwantari ‘The God of Ayurveda’
Madana Phaladi Kalpa
Emetic recipes from Madanaphala and many others:-
वमनद्रव्याणां फलादीनां मदनफलानि श्रेष्ठतमानि भवन्ति |
अथ मदनपुष्पाणामातपपरिशुष्काणां चूर्णप्रकुञ्जं प्रत्यक्पुष्पासदापुष्पीनिम्बकषायाणामन्यतमेनालोड्य मधुसैन्धवयुक्तां पुष्पचूर्णमात्रां पाययित्वा वामयेत् |
मदनशलाटुचूर्णान्येवं वा बकुलरम्यकोपयुक्तानि मधुलवणयुक्तान्यभिप्रतप्तानि; मदनशलाटुचूर्णसिद्धां वा तिलतण्डुलयवागूम् |
निर्वृत्तानां वा नातिहरितपाण्डूनां कुशमूढावबद्धमृद्गोमयप्रलिप्तानां यवबु(तु)षमुद्गमाषशाल्यादिधान्यराशावष्टरात्रोषितक्लिन्नभिन्नानां फलानां फलपिप्पलीरुद्धृत्यातपे शोषयेत्, तासां दधिमधुपललविमृदितपरिशुष्काणां सुभाजनस्थानामन्तर्नखमुष्टिमुष्णे यष्टीमधुककषाये कोविदारादीनामन्यतमे वा कषाये प्रमृद्य रात्रिपर्युषितं मधुसैन्धवयुक्तमाशीर्भिरभिमन्त्रितमुदङ्मुखः प्राङ्मुखमातुरं पाययेदनेन मन्त्रेणाभिमन्त्र्य-
ऋषयः सौषधीग्रामा भूतसङ्घाश्च पान्तु ते |
रसायनमिवर्षीणां देवानाममृतं यथा |
सुधेवोत्तमनागानां भैषज्यमिदमस्तु ते |
विशेषेण श्लेष्मज्वरप्रतिश्यायान्तर्विद्रधिषु; अप्रवर्तमाने वा दोषे पिप्पलीवचागौरसर्षपकल्कोन्मिश्रैः सलवणैरुष्णाम्बुभिः पुनः पुनः प्रवर्तयेदासम्यग्वान्तलक्षणादिति |
मदनफलमज्जचूर्णं वा तत्क्वाथपरिभावितं मदनफलकषायेण; मदनफलमज्जसिद्धस्य वा पयसः सन्तानिकां क्षौद्रयुक्तां, मदनफलमज्जसिद्धं वा पयः, मदनफलमज्जसिद्धेन वा पयसा यवागूम्, अधोभागासृक्पित्तहृद्दाहयोः; मदनफलमज्जसिद्धस्य वा पयसो दधिभावमुपगतस्य दध्युत्तरं दधि वा कफप्रसेकच्छर्दिमूर्च्छातमकेषु; मदनफलमज्जरसं स्नेहं वा भल्लातकस्नेहवदादाय फाणितीभूतं लेहयेत्, आतपपरिशुष्कं वा तमेव जीवन्तीकषायेण, पित्ते कफस्थानगते; मदनफलमज्जक्वाथं वा पिप्पल्यादिप्रतीवापं, तच्चूर्णं वा निम्बरूपिकाकषाययोरन्यतरेण सन्तर्पणकफजव्याधिहरं, मदनफलमज्जचूर्णं वा मधूककाश्मर्यद्राक्षाकषायेण |
Madana phala (Randia dumetorum Lam) is the very best amongst all emetic and fruits producing emesis.
Emetic formulation of Madana flowers –
- Flowers (fruit in keeping with Dalhana) of Madana, needs to be dried properly in daylight and powdered.
- One prakuncha (40 gms) of this powder needs to be blended with the decoction of both Patyakpushpa (apamarga), Sadapushpi (arka), Nimba or another drug, added with Honey and Saindhava.
- This mix needs to be given to the affected person to drink and made to vomit.
Emetic formulation of Madana Salatu –
- Powder of unripe fruit of Madana, could also be used equally with the decoction of Bakula or Ramyaka, added with honey and Saindhava salt and made heat could also be given to drink.
- Alternatively, Yavagu (thick gruel) ready from sesame and Tandula added with powder of unripe fruit of Madanaphala could also be given to drink.
Madanaphala which is neither very inexperienced nor very yellow in colour, (in different phrases that are within the stage of ripening) needs to be collected. They need to be positioned inside a pouch of Kusa grass (tied with threads and made as a bundle) smeared with mud or cow dung, barely dried after which stored hidden for eight days in a heap of Yavabusa (Barley husk), Inexperienced gram, Black gram, Rice, Paddy and such different corns.
Afterwards, the fruits which could have grow to be moist and opened needs to be squeezed barely. Their seeds needs to be collected individually and dried in daylight. Subsequent these needs to be grinded with curd, honey, paste of sesame and dried. Subsequent, one fistful (one pala-40 gm) of this, is put in an excellent vessel, stored soaked for one night time within the scorching decoction of Yastimadhu, Kovidara or any such drug. Subsequent morning this needs to be added with honey and saindhava (rock salt). The affected person is made to take a seat going through east and doctor ought to sit going through north. The affected person is made to drink this recipe sanctified by the next benedictory hymns.
Might Brahma, Daksha, Asvini, Rudra, Indra, Bhu, Chandra, Arka, Anala, Anila, Rishis, teams of medicine and dwelling beings shield you, might this drugs be to you simply as Rasayana (elixirs) to the Sages, Amrita (Nectar) to the Gods, and Sudha (Nectar) to the noble Nagas.
- In illnesses comparable to fever attributable to aggravated Slesma (Kapha), nasal catarrh and inside abscess particularly, or when the Doshas usually are not transferring out, this recipe blended with the paste of Pippali, Vacha, Gaurasarshapa, Lavana and heat water needs to be administered many times and vomiting induced until signs of passable vomiting seem.
- Powder of marrow of Madanaphala, soaked within the decoction of Madanaphala itself, could also be administered. The cream of milk boiled with marrow of Madanaphala, blended honey could also be given; or milk cooked with the marrow of Madanaphala; or Yavagu (thick gruel) ready with the marrow could also be administered in bleeding illness of downward route and burning sensation within the area of the guts.
- Milk boiled with marrow of Madanaphala is curdled, then the fluid of that curd or curd itself could also be utilized in extra secretion of kapha, vomiting, fainting and bronchial bronchial asthma.
- Juice or oil is obtained from the slim in the identical means as oil is obtained from Bhallataka, fruit, then it’s allowed to grow to be thick after which licked; or it’s dried properly in daylight and consumed together with the decoction of Jivanti; these needs to be used when pitta has grow to be localized within the seats of Kapha
- Decoction of marrow of madanaphala added with powder of medicine of Pippalyadi gana or the powder of the marrow together with decoction of Nimba, Rupika or another drug administered in illnesses attributable to over vitamin and aggravation of Kapha, cures these illnesses. Or powder of marrow together with the decoction of Madhuka, Kashmarya and Draksha, could also be administered.
Thus, was described the recipes of Madanaphala.
Learn – Vamana Remedy – Proper Technique, Aspect Results, Administration
Recipes of Madanaphala
जीमूतककुसुमचूर्णं पूर्ववदेव क्षीरेण, निर्वृत्तेषु क्षीरयवागूं, रोमशेषु सन्तानिकां, अरोमशेषु दध्युत्तरं, हरितपाण्डुषु दधि, तत्कषायसंसृष्टां वा सुरां कफारोचककासश्वासपाण्डुरोगयक्ष्मसु; पर्यागतेषु मदनफलमज्जवदुपयोगः ||४||
- Energy of the flowers of Jimutaka could also be utilized in the identical method as described beforehand (in madana kalpa) together with milk.
- From, the simply born fruits of Jimutaka, Ksira Yavagu (thick gruel ready with milk) could also be ready and used.
- Fruit with minute hairs (very younger fruit) could also be used together with cream of milk.
- Fruit with out hairs extra developed could also be used with cream of curds.
- Fruits that are greenish-white (ripening) could also be used with curd; decoction or Sura (beer) of the fruit could also be utilized in aggravation of kapha, lack of style, cough, dyspnoea, anemia and consumption. Ripe fruit could also be utilized in the identical method as that of marrow of Madanaphala.
Learn – Charaka Kalpa Sthana 1st Chapter Madanakalpam
Anya Dravya Kalpa
Recipes of different medicine
Kutaja Phala and Kritavedhana
तद्वदेव कुटजफलविधानम् ||५||
कृतवेधनानामप्येष एव कल्पः ||६||
Getting ready recipes from Kutaja phala (Holerrhena antidysenterica Wall) and Kritavedhana (Luffa acutangula (Linn) Roxb) are additionally related (to these of Jimutaka).
इक्ष्वाकुकुसुमचूर्णं वा पूर्ववत्, एवं क्षीरेण,
Powder of flowers of Ikshvaku (Lagenaria vulgaris Ser) could also be ready in the identical method together with milk. That is helpful in cough, dyspnoea, vomiting, and illnesses produced by Kapha.
विशेषतस्तु गरगुल्मोदरकासश्वासश्लेष्मामयेषु वायौ च कफस्थानगते ||८||
Use of Dhamargava (Kritavedhana) is much like these of marrow of madana phala. These are particularly helpful in synthetic poison, stomach tumor, enlargement of the stomach, cough, dyspnoea and illnesses produced by Kapha and Vata localized within the seats of kapha.
कृतवेधनफलपिप्पलीनां वमनद्रव्यकषायपरिपीतानां बहुशश्चूर्णमुत्पलादिषु दत्तमाघ्रातं वामयति, तत्त्वनवबद्धदोषेषु यवागूमाकण्ठात्पीतवत्सु च विदध्यात् |
वमनविरेचनशिरोविरोचनद्रव्याण्येवं वा प्रधानतमानि भवन्ति ||९||
Powder of Phala Pippali (seeds) of Kritavedhana, properly soaked within the decoction of emetic medicine could also be sprinkled on flowers of Utpala and many others.; and given to the affected person to inhale. This produces vomiting. This methodology needs to be adopted when the doshas usually are not adhering (contained in the seat of Kapha), the affected person being made to drink Yavaga (thick gruel) to his full capability. Used on this method, medicine producing vomiting, purgation to the pinnacle turns into extra environment friendly.
Learn – Vamanopaga Gana: Emesis Aiding Herbs: Assessment, Advantages, Formulations
Totally different types of utilizing emetic medicine
वमनद्रव्ययोगाणां दिगियं सम्प्रकीर्तिता |
तान् विभज्य यथाव्याधि कालशक्तिविनिश्चयात् ||१०||
कषायैः स्वरसैः कल्कैश्चूर्णैरपि च बुद्धिमान् |
पेयलेह्याद्यभोज्येषु वमनान्युपकल्पयेत् ||११||
Some verses right here: –
The outline, up to now of recipes of emetic medicine is only a pointer; the clever doctor might make use of those after contemplating the time (season) and power, as discovered appropriate to every illness, within the type of both decoction, contemporary juice, paste, powder, skinny gruel, confection or blended with meals menu to provide vomiting.
इति श्रीसुश्रुतसंहितायां सूत्रस्थाने वमनद्रव्यविकल्पविज्ञानीयो नाम त्रिचत्वारिंशत्तमोऽध्यायः ॥४३॥
Thus ends the forty third chapter by title Vamana dravya Vikalpa in Sutra Sthana of Sushrutha Samhita.